11 April 2007

South Africa!

After leaving Tanzania I headed to south Africa a little scared about the experience as I have heard Johannesburg can be very dangerous!

Fortunately the place I was staying was really safe in a nice neighbourhood so I was fine to walk around! My first day was just spent chilling out and or once spending some time on my own!

On my second day I went on a tour of jo'burg - I started off at constitution hill which used to be the home to a prison where blacks and whites were separated and the blacks suffered very bad treatment. It was also the prison where Nelson Mandela was held. It is now home to the court but a lot of the old buildings are still standing! Next I went on a tour drive around the city with my own personal tour guide! While driving around we only saw about 2 white people - the city is unsafe for white people so generally they avoid the city and instead go to the malls outside the city! We drove around the roughest part of the city Hillsborough where a lot of squatters live and when they get kicked out they build squatter camps on the streets where they build their own homes out of matresses and furniture. There are also a lot of burnt down buildings in this area. After this we headed to the carlton building which has terrific views of the whole city!

On my last day in Jo'burg I went to the lion & rhino reserve and saw - lions, rhinos, wilder beast, springbok, impala. heartbeast, mongoose, buffalo and lots of snakes!

No comments: